A drainboard sink is without doubt one of the most sensible of kitchen improvements. Lengthy a fixture of classic kitchens, a kitchen sink with drainboard can be a preferred industrial kitchen function as it’s preferrred for busy areas that want a realistic sink possibility.
What’s a Drainboard Sink?
A drainboard sink is one with the drainboard built-in into both one or each side of the sink. A drainboard is an space beside the basin that’s sloped with ridges to permit the dishes to sit down off the floor and dry simpler than on a flat floor.
Kitchen sinks with drainboards have numerous configurations. These embrace single and double basins in addition to single or double drainboards. They’re crafted from totally different supplies, although most trendy drainboard sinks use chrome steel. You may as well set up them numerous methods together with drop-in and undermount kinds as properly. Some have apron fronts reminiscent of farmhouse drainboard sinks whereas others are extra glossy and spare in kind.
We need to assist make selecting the most effective sink simpler as a result of there are such a lot of choices for these sinks. Take into account all the components earlier than deciding if a drainboard sink will work on your residence.
Supplies for Drainboard Sinks
Every materials used for a drainboard kitchen sink has qualities that give it a distinct look, sturdiness, and worth level.
A stainless-steel sink with drainboard is the most well-liked sort of drainboard sink. Stainless-steel is a sturdy materials that can be simple to take care of.
It has pure antibacterial qualities and is immune to scratches. Plus, it is without doubt one of the most reasonably priced choices for sinks with drainboards. You’ll find a stainless sink with drainboard choices each double and single.
Forged iron drainboard sinks have a classic however timeless attraction that work properly in conventional and traditional kitchen kinds. Most classic drainboard sinks are produced from forged iron in addition to classic drainboard sink replicas. A forged iron sink with drainboard is sturdy, scratch and stain resistant. It retains warmth properly which makes washing dishes extra nice and environment friendly if you’re washing many dishes at a time.
However, a forged iron drainboard kitchen sink is without doubt one of the heaviest choices accessible and should not work for cupboards with out structural assist. They’re additionally a costlier drainboard sink possibility.
Copper kitchen sinks with drainboard areas will not be a standard selection, however there are alternatives on the market for these wanting so as to add a particular look of their kitchen. Copper is sturdy, robust, stunning and recyclable. It additionally has antibacterial properties like chrome steel that make it a really perfect sink materials.
Copper sinks are liable to scratches and easy finishes might get dinged. Select the very best quality copper drainboard sink to be able to be certain that it lasts over time.
Fireclay sinks are produced from a mixture of clay and glaze which can be fired at a really excessive temperature. This produces some of the sturdy supplies for drainboard sinks accessible. Fireclay drainboard sinks are non-porous, scratch resistant, and immune to chips and dings. Fireclay is a simple upkeep materials that you could hold clear with a fast wipe down every day.
Fireclay drainboard sinks have an identical look to forged iron drainboard sinks however are a extra cheap worth. Many fireclay sinks have a farmhouse drainboard sink type, although generally, there may be not the identical selection that exists for different supplies like chrome steel.
Granite composite sinks encompass a fabric that features granite combined with crushed quartz, stone mud, and acrylic resin. It’s a sturdy and robust materials that’s frequent for brown and black drainboard sinks. It’s warmth and scratch resistant. Although granite composite sinks are lighter than full granite sinks, they are going to nonetheless require some further structural assist.
Forged acrylic is a standard different to forged iron or fireclay sinks. Acrylic drainboard sinks have an identical look to forged iron however it’s lighter and cheaper. These sinks are available in a variety of colours and likewise totally different end choices together with gloss and matte. Acrylic drainboard sinks will not be as scratch or warmth resistant as stronger supplies. Warmth harm might trigger the sinks to discolor or warp the end.
The most typical mounting choices for drainboard sinks are drop-in sink or an undermount sink.
- Drop-in Sink – A drop-in sink can be referred to as a prime mount sink, over mount sink, or self-rimming sink. It has a rim across the edge that curves over the countertop. You may drop this sink right into a pre-cut gap within the countertop. The sting of the countertop helps the sink which works properly for heavy drainboard sinks manufactured from fireclay and forged iron. This type just isn’t as glossy as undermounting and likewise creates a rim that makes it laborious to brush crumbs into the sink. It additionally creates an edge that traps crumbs between the sink and counter.
- Undermount Sink – Undermounted sinks are a contemporary type that has gained reputation over time. These encompass sinks which can be mounted under the counter edge. This creates a glossy type that doesn’t require any further counter area for the rim. Most drainboard sinks are drop-in varieties due to the water that may acquire on the drainboard. This type just isn’t nearly as good for heavy sink varieties like forged iron and fireclay.
You’ll find drainboard sinks ranging in lots of sizes. These sinks are usually bigger than different small sink varieties due to the drainboard extension. Among the smallest sizes have been 24- 27 inches lengthy (aspect to aspect) and 18 inches large (entrance to again). Medium drainboard sink sizes vary from 30-40 inches lengthy and 18-20 inches large. Giant drainboard sinks which frequently function two basins with two drainboards can vary from 45-70+ inches lengthy and 20- 24.5 inches large.
Drainboard Sink Professionals and Cons
Drainboard sinks are a sensible and exquisite sink possibility for a lot of kitchen designs. But, they do have drawbacks that you must take into account earlier than you buy one on your area.
- Extra Area for Dishes – Drainboards with one or two drainboards enable loads of further room to do the dishes and permit them to dry with out crowding up your counter area.
- Power Financial savings – Permitting dishes to air dry slightly than utilizing an automated dishwasher lets you save power prices.
- Fragile Gadgets – Hand washing gadgets like crystal glasses is healthier for them than utilizing an automated dishwasher and having loads of area to permit them to dry retains them safer.
- Place for Scorching Dishes – The drainboard will enable you an additional place to set sizzling dishes and pots for those who go for a warmth resistant drainboard sink. Use granite composite, fireclay, or chrome steel if you’d like essentially the most warmth resistant possibility.
- Counter Area – Drainboard sinks are inclined to take up extra space than typical sinks. This is probably not the most suitable choice if counter area is a premium in your kitchen.
- Upkeep – Most sinks with drainboards function ridges and valleys. These can acquire particles and dust over time that it’s essential to wipe all the way down to hold clear.
- Price – Drainboard sinks will not be as frequent as customary sinks. Subsequently, these might be costlier as a result of they’re a customized type.
Drainboard Sink Shopping for Information
We now have scoured the choices to seek out you some high quality drainboard sinks of every type and sizes.
Elkay Lustertone Traditional Stainless Metal Drainboard Sink
It is a drop in drainboard chrome steel sink from Elkay. It options the best high quality 18 gauge nickel bearing chrome steel. It’s scratch resistant and sturdy for laborious carrying kitchens. It’s 43 inches backward and forward and 22 inches from entrance to again. It’s 10 inches deep.
Tansi Double Bowl Drop-in Sink
This double sink with drainboard is fabricated with a granite composite making it sturdy and simple care. It’s scratch and stain resistant that means that it’ll look nice for years to come back. This design incorporates a double basin. It’s 46 inches lengthy and 19.5 inches large. It has a depth of 16 inches.
Whitehaus Classic Farmhouse Drainboard Sink
This farmhouse drainboard sink is produced from fireclay, some of the sturdy and simple care sink supplies accessible. It options a pretty apron entrance, indicative of the farmhouse sink type.
It’s completed on each side, as a way to mount the drainboard on the suitable or left aspect. You may set up this sink as an undermount or perhaps a flush mount type the place the highest is stage with the counter. It’s 36 inches lengthy and 20 inches large. It has a depth of 10 inches.
Forged Iron Wall Mount Drainboard Sink
This sink is an effective possibility for you if you’re searching for a classic kitchen sink with drainboard. It options forged iron which is the most typical historic materials for classic sinks. It’s essential to mount this specific sink on the wall because the flange across the sink is just too excessive to mount on a base cupboard. This sink is 42 inches lengthy and 20 inches large. It’s 16 deep.
Copper Double Drainboard Sink
Take into account a copper drainboard sink if you’re available in the market for a one-of-a-kind sink. Copper is sturdy, antibacterial, and exquisite. This sink incorporates a double drainboard and a large basin helpful for laundry massive pots and pans. It’s crafted from 16 gauge copper. You have to to reapply a beeswax coating about each month to maintain it wanting its greatest. It’s 71 inches lengthy, 18 inches large, and 9 inches deep.