Epoxy was first launched to the general public throughout the 1900s by a gaggle of Russian chemists. In 1927, the primary makes an attempt to synthesize epoxy had been made within the US.
Its varied makes use of had been primarily within the marine business and, at the moment, it has turn out to be a quite common materials for house renovations. Epoxy is commonly used for countertop refurbishing in kitchens and loos throughout the US, which is why we’ve devoted at the moment’s article that can assist you discover the most effective epoxy countertop equipment.
Prime 3 Picks
Greatest for Kitchen: Giani Carrara White Marble Countertop Paint Equipment
The Giani Countertop Paint is among the finest merchandise that you simply purchase if you wish to remodel your kitchen counter tops into a ravishing and long-lasting floor.
Greatest for Lavatory: Rust-Oleum Countertop Transformations Equipment
Countertop Transformations is an easy-to-install product that offers your previous rest room counter tops a brand new look. This equipment comes with varied instruments and supplies to finish the job.
Greatest Price range Possibility: Clear Desk Prime Epoxy Resin
This product is good for staining and defending wooden, bar, and tabletops. It creates a shiny floor that’s sturdy and appears nice when absolutely cured.
What Are Epoxy Counter tops?
Identified for its high-quality adhesive properties, epoxy resin has been utilized in varied industries for a very long time. Epoxy resin is a flexible materials that can be utilized for varied purposes. It includes a high-quality construction and robust adhesion.
Whenever you wish to select the “straightforward means out”, you may go for quartz, granite, or laminate counter tops as a result of you should purchase premade slabs which are comparatively straightforward to put in. You don’t get that profit with epoxy. It’s, fairly, a kind of refinishing substance that you simply buy within the type of a equipment after which use to restore an current materials.
It’s true that there are premade epoxy counter tops you could buy however the worth is significantly larger and never appropriate for people who find themselves on a price range. Clients regularly set up an epoxy countertop over one other one with a worn-out materials, which is often wooden, ceramic, or concrete. This ends in a brilliant, shiny coating that protects the floor beneath.
Professionals & Cons to Epoxy Counter tops
Whenever you wish to give your kitchen a brand new vibe, epoxy is a fabric that may go a good distance in making you are feeling such as you’ve purchased new furnishings. Naturally, there are ups and right down to epoxy counter tops, so let’s speak about them:
Professional: Works with a wide range of countertop supplies. Due to the resin’s longevity, epoxy counter tops are sometimes the go-to alternative for many individuals for refurbishing tasks. It will possibly face up to scratches and stains simply in addition to different floor supplies used within the kitchen. This materials may even face up to the vast majority of typical house chemical compounds present in cleaners with out shedding its shine.
Con: Epoxy doesn’t pair nicely with marble or granite. Though the epoxy restoration method might doubtlessly be used on granite and marble, there are superior methods of refinishing that may restore the shine of those supplies. The aim of making use of epoxy within the first place is to revive the unique look of your counter tops after set up. Due to the distinctive nature of marble and granite, they don’t require restore, however you might contemplate using them when you have a resin-based counter.
Professional: It gives a heat-resistant floor. One of many largest advantages of getting an epoxy countertop within the kitchen is its glorious warmth resistance. Naturally, you may’t simply place a scorching pan in your epoxy countertop and go away it there without end as a result of the warmth will nonetheless destroy the preliminary layer, however the a number of layers of epoxy do an important job in defending your counter.
Con: There’s VOC launched throughout the curing course of. When epoxy cures, it creates a non-toxic floor that you should utilize to organize your meals. Nevertheless, the chemical compounds that come collectively to kind the arduous, sturdy finish consequence do embody some risky natural compounds (often known as VOCs). Whenever you’re pouring and ready for epoxy to treatment, make certain there may be sufficient air flow within the kitchen to permit the VOCs to dissipate. You need to keep away from using that space for about per week following to confirm that it is freed from this attainable contaminant.
Professional: Epoxy surfaces are very straightforward to wash. For those who’ve determined to put in an epoxy countertop in your kitchen, you might use practically any cleansing agent on it with out concern of harming it (apart from abrasive merchandise which might produce minor scratches). Meaning you’ll all the time have a protected location to organize meals or go about your common actions. As a result of it gives a nonporous floor with a variety of elementary supplies, mildew and micro organism improvement is minimized with this alternative.
Con: Making ready the floor is time-consuming. For those who’re decided to refurbish your counter tops utilizing epoxy, you will need to first put together the floor accordingly and this course of takes up various time. To ensure that no stains stay, your counter tops might have to be fastidiously sanded. The vast majority of your room will subsequent have to be coated with plastic to guard it from leaking and possible VOCs launched throughout the software process. It additionally takes round 24 hours for the floor to treatment earlier than you should utilize it, and this may very well be an issue when it’s a must to put together meals and you may’t use any of your counter tops.
What to Take into account Earlier than Shopping for an Epoxy Countertop Equipment
Epoxy looks as if a good way to guard your counter tops however there are some things that you must know earlier than shopping for a countertop resurfacing equipment:
- Even when it has many alternative purposes, epoxy can be utilized to restore or shield already current surfaces. It’s appropriate to be used with all varieties of laminate and composite counter tops, in addition to stone, concrete, or wooden. You even have the chance to pour a totally new countertop made with epoxy when you really feel that works finest for you.
- A couple of issues spring to thoughts whereas considering software ease. A number of the finest merchandise that fall below this class have a comparatively low viscosity stage, which implies they stream simply and stage themselves. They’re significantly simpler to make the most of as a do-it-yourself venture, particularly when you’re attempting epoxy for the primary time.
- Since you’ll almost certainly want to use a second coat of epoxy to your countertop, treatment time is a key subject. Speedy-drying epoxy resins might require 4 to six hours earlier than making use of a second coat, however most consultants recommend permitting the floor to dry for a full day. DIYers will almost certainly have to attend about 3 or 4 days earlier than they’ll make the most of the countertop. Even so, consultants advocate utilizing it sparingly as a result of a full treatment may take anyplace from 7 to 30 days, relying on the substance.
- When absolutely cured, epoxy resin has a high-gloss sheen that’s proof against water, bizarre put on, cracking, and scratches. Whereas a pan contemporary from the oven may burn it, it normally withstands warmth nicely sufficient to permit cups carrying scorching liquids to sit down on it. Resistance to UV radiation in sunshine varies, nonetheless, this might not be a difficulty relying on location. If the countertop will likely be uncovered to the weather, you may both buy resin with UV safety or a coating of UV-resistant urethane varnish. Observe that not all epoxy countertop kits are designed for out of doors use, so when you’re trying to renovate your out of doors kitchen, pay shut consideration to this specification earlier than shopping for a sure product.
- When set, epoxy resins are unhazardous (as a result of they’re theoretically an inert plastic) however they’re not all the time FDA acknowledged as meals protected. Many items do adjust to the suitable certification, so hold this in thoughts if the deliberate utilization is for a kitchen countertop.
- Epoxy counter tops are very proof against moisture and stains, making cleansing a breeze. When attainable, clear up spills instantly away. If a towel and heat water aren’t sufficient to erase the stains, attempt a bit of dish cleaning soap. You wish to use a white material when cleansing these surfaces to forestall the colour of the material from transferring to the floor. Acetone and glass cleaner can be utilized to take away extra persistent stains. An alternative choice is to dilute baking soda with water. Bleach must be averted since it could discolor epoxy. By no means use abrasive cleaners since they’ll go away microscopic scratches on the floor, inflicting it to boring over time.
The right way to Use an Epoxy Countertop Equipment
You need to know that an epoxy counter tops equipment usually comes within the type of a bottle or field with a product that you simply apply to your kitchen counter tops per the producer’s instructions.
There are a lot of completely different styles of epoxies, however all of them combine hardener and resin to create a clear, long-lasting stable. As a primary seal, typical directions name for saturating the countertop materials with a skinny coating of epoxy. With this course of, you may keep away from bubble formation as you apply extra coats of epoxy on high. Nevertheless, this isn’t as straightforward as it could sound.
Putting in an epoxy countertop utilizing a equipment is a meticulous course of and each step must be fastidiously adopted if you wish to be glad with the consequence. An epoxy countertop equipment will be put in in numerous methods and the producer’s directions ought to all the time be the very first thing you seek the advice of. Immediately, we’re going to offer you a normal tutorial on easy methods to use considered one of these kits.
The checklist of supplies and instruments wanted for the venture contains:
- 80- and 220-grit sanding sponge
- 4 x 1-qt. Cups
- 2 x paddle mixers
- Isopropyl alcohol
- 2 x 2-gallon buckets
- Trim router
- Plastic sheet
- Spray bottle
- Orbital sander
- Oscillating instrument
- 2 x 6-in. 3/8-in.-nap curler sleeves
- Painters tape
- Wiping cloths
- 6-in. paint curler
After getting all these supplies subsequent to you, listed here are the steps to comply with:
- Epoxy bonds nicely with rounded edges, which implies that you should utilize a router with a round-over bit in a horizontal place to create a entrance rounded-over edge.
- Use all-purpose physique filler to cowl seams and gaps. When you’ve got a particle board left uncovered when chopping or routing, make certain to fill it out and easy it as nicely.
- When all these gaps have been stuffed, proceed to sand the floor to verify every little thing is easy. Use 60-grit sandpaper for this course of.
- Tape plastic to the ground beneath the counters. Roll the plastic over the underside fringe of the cupboard, after which tuck it within the toe-kick.
- Have all of your supplies ready as a result of timing is every little thing when pouring epoxy. As you apply the primer, the race begins.
- This primer is a must have for any epoxy venture. Combine a few elements right into a small bucket and roll it on the counters. As soon as the previous shade is gone, apply extra primer.
- The primer ought to treatment for about an hour. To keep away from staining, combine the metallic powder into the spotlight epoxy.
- After about an hour, the primer is cheesy and gained’t go away residue on the floor. Combine the bottom coat with a clear, non-slip material or a glove. Pour the resin excessive of the counter, after which unfold it round with a rolling pin. The aim is to create a layer that’s as thick as attainable.
- Use a skinny line of leftover epoxy to push the entrance fringe of the counter. As soon as the bottom coat is even, transfer the bottom coat round or add extra epoxy.
- Drizzling the highlights is a good way so as to add a bit of little bit of shade, however make certain to maintain them balanced.
- By utilizing a brush and dragging it throughout the highest, you may feather the highlights for a ravishing finish impact.
- The metallic powder and isopropyl alcohol answer give a extra pure look to the epoxy. You need to use the isopropyl alcohol and spray it throughout the surfaces to offer the countertop a extra pure stone-like look.
- Pay shut consideration to the counters within the upcoming hours and take away any epoxy drips as they happen. You’ll additionally have to take away the masking tape that’s holding the epoxy in place. As soon as the counters are prepared, begin filling them with the remaining epoxy.
- The following day, put together the counters for the protecting topcoat. That is normally achieved round 20 hours after the pour in order that the bond will kind and the epoxy has time to treatment. Sand out any mud nibs you discover on the counters utilizing 220-grit sandpaper.
- Combine the two-part coat and apply it to the floor. Roll the coat excessive of the floor. Use the backsplash as your information. As soon as the counters are utterly cured, pull the curler to the entrance edge.
Greatest Epoxy Countertop Kits
Giani Carrara White Marble Epoxy Countertop Equipment
Giani Countertop Paint is a three-step course of that can remodel counter tops made with cultured marble, ceramic tile, Corian, Formica, laminate, and others, into a ravishing and sturdy floor. The Giani Countertop Paint Equipment comes with all the mandatory instruments and provides to correctly coat and shield your kitchen counter tops. This product is protected for inside use and doesn’t emit a powerful odor since there are not any VOC emissions. The equipment additionally comprises an Epoxy Resin Topcoat product to create a ravishing end that’s proof against on a regular basis use.
Giani Countertop Paint Equipment
One other product by Giani is that this countertop paint equipment that comes with a paint sponge, a foam brush, a curler arm with pads included, 16 oz. of glitter topcoat, 4 oz. of bronze mineral, 6 oz. of Black Onyx Mineral, 6 oz. of Pearl Mica Mineral, and 12 oz. of IronCore Primer-Base Coat. This gorgeous black granite accent includes a starry end and pearl flecks. There are different shade choices to select from, together with white diamond, slate, Sicilian sand, and chocolate brown.
Rust-Oleum Countertop Transformations Equipment
Countertop Transformations is an easy and inexpensive solution to remodel a worn and outdated kitchen or rest room countertop. It’s a straightforward and cost-effective solution to give your counter tops a pure look. This sturdy end won’t fade or stain. The equipment is fairly beneficiant too, because it comes with ornamental shade chips, wetting agent, adhesive base coat, protecting topcoat, stir sticks, a diamond-embedded sanding instrument, and a sanding block. The extra materials’s checklist contains easy painter’s tape, two artificial brushes, two paint trays, a foam curler, a microfiber curler, protecting sheets, and private put on, and lint-free rags.
Clear Desk Prime Epoxy Resin That Self Ranges
This explicit epoxy-based product is formulated to offer a easy end and decrease bubbles. It’s superb to be used on wooden, bar, and tabletop surfaces. When absolutely cured, it creates a shiny floor that excels in sturdiness and makes your kitchen seem model new. If there’s any leftover materials, you may all the time use it in your artwork tasks. It’s a food-safe product and delivers a self-leveling system that makes it very straightforward to use.
DIY Undertaking Concepts for Counter tops
Straightforward DIY Countertop Refinishing
Refinishing your counter tops is one other good concept for these of you curious about DIY tasks to enhance your own home. For this venture, you’ll be required to put money into Daich Coatings Mineral Choose SpreadStone Countertop Ending Equipment, but additionally a bunch of different instruments and merchandise, equivalent to a degreaser, a sanding block, an orbital sander, and an influence drill. Another instruments that you simply’ll want and almost certainly have round the home embody a brush/vacuum cleaner, an influence drill with a paint stirring attachment, and a mud masks.
The right way to Refinish the Lavatory Vainness Prime with Epoxy Resin
What if we advised you it’s attainable to remake your rest room vainness tops for simply $140 and it doesn’t take greater than 12 hours. The venture makes use of epoxy resin to refinish the vainness tops, as epoxy resin works with supplies equivalent to ceramic, concrete, laminate, or wooden. In contrast to the 2 former tasks, this one goes to take extra supplies and instruments, equivalent to a propane torch, a drill, a sander, utility knife, chop brush, silicone caulk, painter’s tape, primer, and others.
Countertop Resurfacing with Metallic Epoxy
Relating to DIY tasks, some folks really feel that no written directions or photos might ever exchange video instruction, so here’s a YouTube video that teaches you easy methods to resurface counter tops utilizing metallic epoxy. Whereas some would argue that this can be a extra meticulous venture, it’s positively one which makes a multitude.
How a lot does it value to epoxy a countertop?
Kits designed to cowl your counter tops in epoxy can value between $50 to $250, which implies you may get actually good merchandise for round $150 to $180.
Do epoxy counter tops scratch simply?
Epoxy is among the most sturdy supplies that you should utilize for a countertop and it’ll not scratch simply except you propose on chopping bread immediately on the counter as a substitute of utilizing a chopping board beneath.
Is epoxy good for counter tops?
Sure, epoxy gives plenty of advantages when used as a countertop materials, from its warmth and scratch resistance to the truth that it could simply be cleaned.
Are epoxy counter tops cheaper than granite?
Epoxy counter tops normally value round $45 per sq. foot. Granite costs additionally begin at $45, however they’ll go as excessive as $225. General, that makes epoxy cheaper than granite.
With epoxy resin, you may remodel an previous countertop into a contemporary masterpiece. This materials is sturdy sufficient to final for a few years, and it may be used to make a brand new countertop that’s as stunning as actual stone. Since epoxy has turn out to be extra prevalent, there are a variety of various resins to select from. This text will enable you slender down the choices and discover the correct one to your venture.